Training and Certification

Scholarships: The Utah Municipal Clerks Association (UMCA) provides a limited number of scholarships for clerks and recorders to attend the UMCIA and the annual conference. For more information, contact Lisa Titensor, Clinton City at 801-614-0720 or or fill out the scholarship application form and send to Lisa! If lodging is requested on the application, please book rooms at the less expensive hotel. City will need to pay for the registration and lodging which will then be reimbursed by UMCA.


Each city or town in the State of Utah is required to have a Certified Records Officer.  Each officer must certify yearly with the State Archives Division.  The Utah League of Cities and Towns hosts a yearly training/testing session for us at the Fall League meetings in Salt Lake.   Certification may also be done online at the State Archives website.

Click the link below for online certification:


If you have questions about becoming a Certified Records Officer, or online training or certification, you can call the State Archives at 801-531-3863.

A link to the records officer training workshop is now posted on the State Archives' YouTube channel.  Feel free to take a look.